Thursday, July 12, 2007

 

Films Lists. So many films to see.

So I’ve been throwing a number of films lists out there that have films I need to work through so I thought I’d formally summarize what they currently are and in some general order of importance.

1. A personal list of 5 films I’m embarrassed to not have seen. This list is not really necessary since the 3 films left are all on the next couple of lists. However these 3 have a set of importance to finish before the summer is over.

2. The IMDB Top 250. I pretty much vote on everything I see on IMDB, at least I try when I can keep up with it. But the one good thing is you can do a power search and get a list of films you have not seen. It seems like I’ve been hovering between 8 to 15 left to see for the last 3 years and it’s time to attempt to complete the damn list. Well in the last week I knocked off few films that were currently on the list (The Lion King, Harakiri, & Live Free or Die Hard).

This leaves me with an even 10 films to complete the list:
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
  • Come and See
  • For a Few Dollars More
  • La Haine
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • Knocked Up
  • Nights of Cabiria
  • Out of the Past (Build My Gallows High)
  • Ratatouille
  • Stalker

3. The Guardian 1,000 Films to See Before You Die. As I stated before, I really like this list. It is a good mix of classics vs. not so much; U.S. vs. foreign; and historical significance vs. watch-ability. Something many other lists don’t seem to do. My current total is 352 films left to see, so this should take a while.

4. The Criterion Collection. This is the one list where I’m going to do re-watches. The point here is both the film and the Criterion extras. With some titles being out of print, I obviously can’t see every title but I’ll do my best and substitute only as a list resort to re-see the film. As there collection if over 400 and growing and I’m restarting and now only at 2 this will again take a while.

5. Personal IMDB 50. As finishing the official IMDB 250 is shortly a reachable goal, I put together a Top 50 using their rankings. The only requirement is the film must be on DVD or a new release. (This weeds out all those Turkish films with high ratings that I have no chance of seeing.) I used the IMDB standard of a minimum of 1,300 votes. This produced 50 films from #1 Sansho the Bailiff (8.8 with 1316 votes) to #50 Before the Rain (8.1 with 3169 votes). Obviously all of the Top 250 are on this list (actually Harry Potter isn’t since I made this list before it had enough votes). I also don’t see this as ever being completed. I plan on added new films to the list when I get down to about 20 films left to see.

So there you have it. 5 lists producing probably 600 films to watch. And I’m sure before I finish these, I’ll add more lists to the mix.

Labels:


Comments:
How do you generate your IMDB Personal 50?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?