Monday, July 09, 2007

 

Last Week Quick Hits

This is what I hope will be a regular weekly feature. I will mention any film, television show, theater, book or anything that happened in the last week that I experienced and want to mention but don't have enough to say for a single post.

Life on Mars (tv) I did a final 4-hour push to finish this last week. If you have the ability to watch this (it's only 16 hours) through a Region2 player or if BBCA re-runs this series. DO. This is one great series. I really dread the Americanized version this fall. I'm still a little unsure if I like the ending but there are a number of things to love about this show. Great concept; great look; wonderful acting from John Simm, Philip Glenister, & Liz White that give you characters to care about; and a wonderful soundtrack.

Predator. I found myself really liking this late 80s action film. Very tight, well thought-out fun. I actually stopping everything else I was doing to fully concentrate on the last half of the film I was so caught up in it.

A Mighty Heart. Average storytelling. Maybe I was expecting too much from Winterbottom or maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind (I saw this after work on 3 July). I do plan on watching again as soon as it hits DVD. But it seems the real issue is not reviewing the movie but debating Angelina Jolie. So I'll go: I thought she was great, even Oscar worthly.

Sicko. It seems if you say anything negative about Michael Moore then you are a right-wing fascist. Well I might be branded but this is a great issue and average film at best. Everyone has commented how this is a dryer film than his previous and that seems to be because he has not gone crazy with his stunts in this film. I maintain that this film is actually less dry than say The Fog of War or Why We Fight you are just seeing the limitations of the documentarian.

Live Free or Die Hard. I recently just watched 2 and 3 for the first time to prepare for this since I wanted to see it in a theater. 2 was entertaining while I highly enjoyed 3. This film falls in-between. This film runs a little long at 130 minutes and the stupid level is quite high at times but it is a fun trill ride from beginning to end and Bruce Willis still has it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?