Monday, January 07, 2008

 

Should critics have their credentials revoked?

One interesting part of the end of the film year are all of the year-end awards and top 10 film lists. indieWIRE has an interesting compilation of top 10 lists. It combines 106 critics.

I'm really surprised, and happy, about the strong showing of Zodiac. This has a real chance to be in my top 10. I also question the inclusion of Killer of Sheep. Granted this film didn't get a wide distribution until this year but it was first released in 1977. There needs to be a statue of limitations on this. A fine film but will not be considered in my list.

But the main thing that jumped out is 2 critics put I Know Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. These two are Nathan Lee of The Village Voice who put it 10th & Armond White of the New York Press who listed it 5th.

I admit I have not seen the film but I have seen enough Adam Sandler films and the trailer to reasonably guess I won't like the film and really don't need to waste two hours of my life to prove this. But really! How can a critic put this in their top 10. I guess I can understand liking this as a guilty pleasure but rating this film that high should put you on some sort of critic probation at the very least.

This film is sitting at 14% on Rotten Tomatoes. This puts it as the 2nd worst film of 2007 for films with 100 or more reviews. Only Halle Berry's Perfect Stranger scored worse with 10%. But that brings up another discussion. Former Oscar winners who should be put on probation for choosing bad films.

Hot Chicks Born Today
Natalie Gulbis, 25, at least she has a tournament win so there is more to her than her looks which puts her ahead of Anna Kournikova
Katie Couric, 51, a little past her prime but she was very hot around 2000
Erin Gray, 58, one of the biggest reasons I watched Buck Rogers

Labels:


Comments:
Now Chris you owe Adam an apology - Reign Over Me was a very good movie. Unfortuantely I think it is forgotten now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?