Monday, February 04, 2008

 

I need a day to myself

I really don’t know what to write about so please indulge me in this free flow rant.

One of my biggest problems is I don’t know how to relax and enjoy the moment. I’m always thinking about something else I need to be doing. When I’m watching a movie I begin thinking of what I need to be doing after the film. When watching a dvd at home I begin looking around the room at other things needed to be done. While reading a newspaper or something on the web I begin to thing how I can be more productive.

I know this is something I need to work on and try to find something a few times each week where I can completely lose myself and relax. Maybe I can try yoga, tai chi (I was always mesmerized when seeing the groups doing this in San Francisco) or find a spare sensory deprivation tank.

I’ve basically felt this way over the past week as it seems like a number of things derail my mental state. I’ve been trying to improve myself this year with a number of resolutions, for want of a better word. I think I’ve done pretty well keeping up with things, such as: studying, eating right, working out, blog posting, reading stuff and such. But last week I had a huge car repair bill, have been dealing with moving my work office to another building, my dad’s continuing health issues have made me want to shut down for a while and just do nothing. Then I feel like I’m behind in things and it begins a vicious cycle that makes me want to shut down even more. Times like this I just wish I had an extra day to catch up where this is no stress and I have 100% of the time to myself.

I really don’t know what this is to accomplish other than give me a chance to step back, take a breath, and look at things anew.

Comments:
I can relate to what you're saying from my own experience. I've found the sensory deprivation tank to be a great "reset switch" for a lot of the mental habits I get in to. I'm told this is because it alters your brainwaves from beta (wide awake and alert) to alpha and eventually to theta. I've floated dozens of times and find this reset (for lack of a better term) to be a very consistent benefit of floating.

To find the sensory deprivation tank nearest you, visit floatforhealth.net/floatdirectory
 
Chris, all of us need to unplug sometimes. I think the first step is to give yourself permission. As someone who took care of an ailing parent - I cannot emphasize how important it is for you take care of yourself as well as them.

If time, money and your father's health permits you the time and opportunity why not take a night and get out of town just for that day or check yourself into one of the great hotels in Dallas with the cell phone turned off, no laptop and just do something relaxing like a get a massage - yes guys do that too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?