Friday, February 01, 2008

 

Return to the Guardian List

Last week I did a final, major push to watch films from 2007. That was to prepare for this weeks film countdown, which is obviously being delayed at least another day, I have now turned my attention to again working on the Guardian 1,000 list. The last time I was actively working on the list. back in August of last year, I had 346 movies left on the list. Currently, I have 340 movies left to see.

Since August, I knocked these 6 films off the list without even trying:
Dodgeball
Elevator to the Gallows
The Italian Job
The Science of Sleep
The Thomas Crown Affair
Under the Skin

This week I've brought that number down to 338, having seen:

American Movie - An enjoyable documentary about a marginally talented filmmaker who is trying to make the next The Blair Witch Project. This was the hit of the 1999 Sundance Film Festival and I'm not sure it lives up to the hype. While it probably runs a bit too long as Mark Borchardt, the film-maker who drinks too much, wears out his welcome. There are a number of scenes well worth seeing. Two that highlight just how low-budget the film being made is: Uncle Bill needed 31-takes to record a simple line, and still not getting it right, and trying to slam a head through a not-so-breakaway door. However not one I'd put on a 1,000 film list.

Come and See - Wow, what a film! I started watching this late at night and only planned on getting a good start before bed. Two hours later I was still watching being captivated by the images. This is one of the best films every made to convey the horrors and insanity of war without either making it look heroic or the film lapsing into insanity itself. This is the last film the director made, even though he was 52 and would live for 18 more years. He certainly went out on a high. The young lead, in his first film, does an amazing job. He says very little but has such an expressive face as he witnesses the horrors. Equally good is the young female, in her only list role on IMDB. She reminds me of Jennifer Jason Leigh and a pity she didn't work more. A must see.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I'm glad you liked Come and See. That an Au Hasard Balthazar have been really great discoveries for me from the Guardian list so far. I'm really surprised Come and See doesn't get more coverage from critics.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?